An article in today’s Washington Post does a great job of explaining the many barriers that face immigrant’s when it comes to health and health care.It’s written by a nurse who works at a Mobile health unit in Maryland and her perspective is very indicative of the situation around the country.
She outlines to complicated barriers that face this population:
- It’s hard to get immigrants to take advantage of available services.
- Medication issues can complicate care.
- Language barriers take many forms.
- The poor health of many immigrant patients is aggravated by poverty.
- Immigrants need access to mental health, dental health and specialty services.
For more about immigration and it’s connections to health, click here.