The National Coalition for Immigrant Women’s Rights (NCIWR) would like to thank everyone who stood with immigrant women on June 20 – the Day of Action for Immigrant Women’s Health.
The Day of Action was a big success as organizations and individuals Tweeted, signed onto the Aderholt Amendment opposition letter, wrote blog posts, and stood up for #Health4ImmigrantWomen.
Here is a recap of the June 20 – Day of Action for Immigrant Women’s Health activities:
- Our coalition is growing! Sixty-five (65) organizations have joined NCIWR Steering Committee Members the National Latina Institute for Reproductive Health (NLIRH) and the National Asian and Pacific American Women’s Forum (NAPAWF) in opposing the dangerous Aderholt Amendment. We’ve shared the coalition letter with lawmakers and are continuing to educate people about this mean-spirited attack on immigrant women and reproductive health.
- The #Health4ImmigrantWomen Tweet Chat brought together a wide range of groups to talk about issues that impact immigrant women’s health, including: access to abortion and contraceptive care, health disparities, environmental injustice and toxic chemicals, health of immigrant workers, and the connections between justice for immigrants and LGBTQ justice. We reached over 90,000 Twitter accounts with tweets from more than 70 different contributors as dozens of civil rights and social justice organizations and individuals participated in this online chat.
- And last, but not least, dozens of supporters took action and sent over 600 (!) messages to members of Congress urging them to support a DHS Appropriations bill with NO added restrictions on women’s health care!
However, the fight for immigrant women’s health and rights does not stop. Here are ways you can continue to stay engaged:
- Sign the letter: If you have not done so already, join the growing coalition of local, state, and national groups who stand with immigrant women and oppose the Aderholt amendment and other attacks on immigrant women’s health. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to add your organization to the list.
- Send an action alert: Share this action alert with your listervs and networks.
- Write a blog post about why you stand with immigrant women and why immigrant women’s health matters. Share it with us so we can promote!
- Join NCIWR: Review our principles here and fill out the form to apply for membership.
Many thanks for your participation and support! Keep posted for more updates from NCIWR!
For more information, please visit the website of the National Coalition for Immigrant Women’s Rights.