1) Fall Research Intern
Position Location: New York City
Responsibilities: the research intern is responsible for assisting the Senior Research Associate on research and writing, and other research-related projects. Specifically, the intern would work closely with NLIRH program and policy staff on:
* Researching, analyzing and writing on reproductive health policies and recommendations including but not limited to the issues of pregnancy, prenatal care, abortion, contraception, and immigrant health.
* Increasing political participation of Latinas by helping develop and prepare curricula on Participatory Action Research
* Supporting and carrying out a qualitative research project on community policy advocacy
* Drafting articles and blog posts regarding reproductive health research and policy developments
NLIRH can provide hands-on experience on a variety of reproductive health and rights issues. Interns will work closely with staff, volunteers and consultants.
Qualifications: *Prior social justice experience; *Strong commitment to reproductive freedom and justice; *Interest in reproductive and/or immigration health research; *Strong writing and research skills required; *Ability and desire to work from home or school at least part of the time; *Fluency in written and spoken Spanish a plus; *Public health/sociology/health psychology/other social science research and writing background a plus; *Candidates with experience or familiarity with participatory action research or research design/data collection/ or data analysis a plus
Stipend: Minimum of 15 hours per week. Stipend available. Please Inquire.
Application Procedure: Send a resume and cover letter to Research Internship Program, National Latina Institute for Reproductive Health, 50 Broad Street, Suite 1825, New York, NY 10004. Or e-mail application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Or fax to 212-422-2556 no later than August 20, 2008.
2) Community Mobilization Program Intern
Position Location: New York City
Currently, we are seeking a Program Intern for the Community Mobilization Department. This is a part time position (20 hours per week) for the fall semester, with an opportunity for a two semester commitment. Our main goal in the Community Mobilization Department is to cultivate a diverse, well-informed and active base of Latino/as capable of mobilizing for social change. The Program Intern participates in a wide variety of projects geared towards strengthening his/her analytical skills through first-hand experience in areas such as community activism, advocacy and leadership development.
Responsibilities: the intern will work closely with the Director of Community Mobilization and the Senior Advocacy Associate on the following projects, but not limited to:
* Assisting in the organization of national campaigns and events
* Communicating with our activists nationwide through e-mail and phone calls
* Assisting in the organization of our trainings (i.e. recruiting participants, research, preparing materials and coordinating logistics)
* Assist and participate in our on-going research projects
* Writing and organizing the distribution of our newsletter Instantes
* Assisting in the maintenance of our database (i.e. data entry)
* Administrative support for various projects
Qualifications: We are looking for a motivated individual who is interested and fully committed to making positive changes in the lives of Latinas and with some experience in social justice issues. Strong research and writing skills are required and fluency in Spanish is a plus.
A monthly stipend will be provided.
Application Procedure: Send a resume and cover letter to the National Latina Institute for Reproductive Health, 50 Broad Street, Suite # 1825, New York, NY 10004; e-mail application to email@example.com; or fax it to 212-422-2556 by August 15, 2008.